Wednesday, January 2, 2008

China Ghosts


China Ghosts: My Daughter's Journey to America, My Passage to Fatherhood


We loved this book! Over the holiday season we both read this and found it to be a fascinating read about a father who went to Changsha to adopt his daughter Jin Yu. Jeff Gammage is a journalist for the Philadelphia Inquirer.


Gammage writes, "Having a child enables you to imagine every child as your own." He finds it a revelation how much he loves her but is full of contradictory emotions regarding her origins: angry that she was abandoned as an infant and had to suffer her first two years in a Chinese orphanage, but grateful to China for granting him such a wonderful daughter. He views Chinese adoption as "a place where elation is paired with regret and hope stands as companion to sorrow."


1 comment:

Jen said...

I just called our library today and asked them to get that book in for me! How neat. I am glad to hear that it is a good read!